Open Source Archives

We strive to facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration and the implementation of progressive and  participatory research methods, with the goal of generating tangible, durable changes in the way research about Haiti is conceptualized, implemented and applied.


Research Hub & Open Source Archives

EKO HAITI Research Hub is a research and knowledge mobilization platform focused on creative, collaborative and interdisciplinary research and associated research-based learning. We aim to become the intellectual “home” for research about Haiti by creating and providing open access to the largest crowdsourced research archive dedicated to Haiti, by fostering cross-disciplinary research and innovation, and by providing support for progressive research in the form of contextual expertise and training.

“The trees fall from time to time, but the voice of the forest never loses its power. Life begins.”

Jacques Alexis, Les Arbres Musiciens (Paris, 1957)
Haiti is the birthplace of a rich literary heritage that deserves more attention. Haitian authors open a window into this Caribbean nation’s vibrant culture and tumultuous history.

EKO HAITI collections include all works, published and unpublished by Anthropologists Gerald Murray, Glenn Smucker and Timothy Schwartz
Dedicated to the late great, Kreyolicious (Katheline St. Fort), our photographs archives holds a large collection of images dating back to the late 1800's .
40 years of development reports, evaluations and survey databases many of which are not publicly available, are buried in drawers, closets, private libraries of NGOs and government donors.


Oral histories are a powerful tool in developing historical understanding

Oral history offers an alternative to conventional history, filling gaps in traditional research with personal accounts of historically significant events or simply life in a specific place and time. Oral histories do more than provide charming details to dry historical accounts. In fact, oral histories help others recapture lived experiences that are not written down in traditional sources.

> Transcripts archive

" Bwa pi wo di li wè lwen, men grenn pwomennen di li wè pi lwen pase l "

The tallest tree says that it sees far, but the seed that travels says that it sees even further.



As an independent institute, we rely on crowdsourcing and donations to continue expanding the depth and scope of our archives.  Your contribution enable us to provide open access to a vast collection of ethnographic and research material which in turn aims at fostering further research and contribute to a better understanding of the country.

The primary objective of this report is to respond to the question, “How well attuned was the Haiti Hope project strategy to promoting an increase in present and future revenues for Mango farmers and other mango supply chain actors.”

The answer is, If assessed in HTG (Haitian Gourdes), income for all project participants and control groups increased over the life of the project. Income increased for Inactive Members by 57%; for Non sellers by 33% and for Sellers by 67%. If we add 7 HTG premiums paid to those who sold through the project, increased income from Haiti Hope sales of certified Organic and Fairtrade mangos is an additional 14 percent—for income specifically from those Haiti Hope sales for a total of 81%. Even survey control groups—that 2015 controls taken from outside the project area– increased income in HTG by an estimated 40% over the life of the project.

If assessed in US dollars, then in the absence of 14% premiums paid after the sales as well as money that returns to the communities through Haiti Hope community development projects, the project was not associated with a significant income increase for the average of the 25,150 project participants. However, even in US dollars there was a 33% increase in income for the core group of most active project participants without premiums (“Sellers”, i.e. those who sold at least once through the project).

There was no significant increase in the volumes produced by project participants, something expected given the time span of the project being too short to result in measureable increase in yield from new trees, grafting, and best practices

Any long term increase in income from mangos will come with unknown opportunity costs in terms of other crops that producers could have invested in and that may yield higher dividends and be more appropriate given the economic constraints that characterize the rural Haiti economy

While there was no contractual commitment on the part of the project, success of the design hinged in large part on unrealized expectations, specifically the belief that export packing houses could and would double exports and that new processing facilities would be established, a point elaborated on in Part II of this report.